The third spool of LEDs showed up. Woo!
I spliced some extra power wires in to overcome the high-resistance path that was causing the lower-right corner to render discolored and yellow. The wiring is now featured in the dictionary next to "janky", but the display looks pretty good. Most of the time. Except when the data wire from segment 3 to segment 4 flakes out and the bottom four rows freeze.
I spent some time hacking another animation into the Arduino code. My first try should have been trivial, but apparently I overflowed my static RAM budget and it crashes. I tried compressing the dynamic range of the PPMs, but that looked terrible. Then I realized that 1-bit images with a color lookup table is probably just fine, so I replaced the new animation with that, and also saved a bunch of bits by converting the "Happy Birthday" text from its ascii representation to the 1-bit format.
Here's the glory:
No comments:
Post a Comment