Saturday, January 8, 2022

Birthday Jumbotron III: Reconnaissance

I hung out with Jeremy today, 45 minutes later than I could have because I reconnoitered the convention center to see where I might deploy the Jumbotron.

My recollection from visiting his house was that the best option would be displaying it from the loading dock of the Convention Center. I'll just take a quick stroll down the street and ... there's a giant steel door and a phone for calling security. Hmm.

I strolled around the grounds a little bit. I found this spot from which I could look up and see Jeremy's building, the Meridian. I could set the display up on the concrete wall or hang it on the fence.

Here's the view of Jeremy's building from that spot.


I walked around the south side of the Center, then inside, looking for the security office. I never found it, but on the way around the north side at the sidewalk, I ran into a guy taking a smoke break who was wearing a Convention Center Security coat. I chatted with him, and he said "well, no guarantees, but call administration -- they might let you wander up on the loading dock." So that's promising!


Later, up in Jeremy's apartment, I checked out the view from above. In the lower-right corner of this shot, you can see the walkway and fence from above. I realize from this angle the display needs to basically be facing the sky. And you have to stand up to see it over the desk. So it'll work, but it's not ideal.


In the left side of this image, you can see the courtyard behind the Center, beyond the bright glass atrium. It has a nice line of sight, but it's pretty far away. Eight feet is a big display, but it might actually be difficult to make out at this distance. BANG! would probably come through, though.


This is the brass ring. The loading dock. Same line of sight as the Seattle star (photo upper left) and a Christmas tree cone (upper right), a bit closer than the courtyard, and it can be seen from a seated position in Jer's office. The display won't be huge -- those garbage compactors in the near corner of the loading dock are probably eight feet wide. But I think it's the best shot.

I think I'm ready for Monday. Hoping for minimum rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment