Monday, March 26, 2018

Electronics lab cart

I bit off a bigger project with my Shaper Origin:



That's a new cart to organize my electronics "lab", which consists of a soldering iron, a few instruments, and lots and lots of shoeboxes.

It's made with tab-and-slot construction. The sides have ellipses cut out to make it a bit lighter in a style reminiscent of  1940s aviation. The back has 0.2" plywood shear panels; holes are added here also to provide ventilation.

I used pre-finished plywood from China by way of Home Depot; two $45 sheets. I had trouble with the bit burning; I suspect using pre-finished wood was causing carbon to build up very quickly on the bits. Pre-finished wood would be really convenient if it didn't eat bits, but for the next project, I think I'll stick with sanded dry plywood.

I also had trouble with the bit jumping, which was very frustrating. Then, nearly at the end of the project, I discovered that the spindle clamp had been loose, probably the whole time. The locator pin had chewed up the spindle slot. :v( I cleaned things up with a file; hopefully things will work smoothly again now that I have the spindle clamped securely.

It was fun to draw furniture in Inkscape and then print it out. But for this project, it would have been a lot faster (and maybe a little prettier) to cut the outline on a bandsaw, dado the shelves into the sides, and just not bother with the mostly-decorative ellipse holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment