I needed some test probes for my electronics lab: things like banana plugs with alligator clips for the power supply, and minigrabbers for the multimeters. I ordered a bunch from ebay, $1-$1.50 each:
When I finally got around to using them, I was testing a 12V, 2A light circuit from my power supply. For some reason the circuit was seeing only 10V! I guess because ... those lousy test leads were 1Ω! Ridiculous. Probably 60-gauge wire.
So, not wanting to repeat that debacle, I picked up a Pomona set for $16:
Ten times the price, but at least they work! But I'd like to have a few of these things around; you never know when you need them. Can I find something cheaper but adequate? Amazon suggested Elenco TL-5 and TL-12 leads, and they showed up today.
I put them all to the test by running 3A through each, and measuring the voltage drop. I also compared against my homemade test leads: alligator clips crimped to speaker wire. Here are the results:
| lead | length | mV/3A | Ω through both leads | Ω/ft |
| Elenco TL-5 banana alligator | 3' | 400 | 0.1 Ω | 0.033 Ω/ft |
| Elenco TL-12 banana minigrabber | 3' | 300 | 0.133 Ω | 0.044 Ω/ft |
| Pomona Minigrabber | 2' | 180 | 0.06 Ω | 0.030 Ω/ft |
| Howell lampcord alligator | 1.5' | 240 | 0.08 Ω | 0.058 Ω/ft |
So the Pomonas win by a little, but the Elencos are less than half the price, and pretty adequate. I wish they offered a shorter length.
No comments:
Post a Comment